Tuesday 12 June 2007

Positive and Negative Expressions

Two people can experience the same situation but react in a totally different way. The reaction determines whether it becomes a negative or a positive experience and the hold it will have over our mood and thoughts for the rest of the day, sometimes longer, perhaps a memory for life.

Often the way we react to an experience is determined by the language used as we all interpret language differently. The way we use language, in particular our choice of expressions, reflects our personality and beliefs.

Examples of negative expressions:
“I won’t get that job, I never get what I want.”
“No matter how hard I try, I never get anywhere.”
“I always make the wrong decision.”
“I’ve put my foot in it again.”
“I’m no good at anything.”
“I never win anything.”
“It always happens to me.”

Such thoughts mirror a pessimistic outlook on life, one in which life is against us. A conviction that nothing ever goes right, no matter how hard we try.

Or we can adopt and maintain an optimistic outlook with a definite feeling that no matter what happens everything is for the best.

Examples of positive expressions:
“Every cloud has a silver lining.”
“If a door closes, somewhere a window opens.”
“Whatever happens it will be for the best.”
“Patience is bitter, but it bears a sweet fruit.” (Islamic)
“There is a light at the end of every tunnel.”
“Never look a gift horse in the mouth.”
“Think big.”
“Today is the first day of the rest of our lives.” (American Indian - anon)
“Where there’s a will there’s a way.”
“If you don’t at first succeed, try, try again.”
“Impossible is nothing.” (Adidas)

We need to be in total control of these forces.
Control is achieved by replacing:
all negative ideas with positive ideas
negative thoughts with positive thoughts
negative speech with positive speech
negative attitudes with positive attitudes
negative emotions with positive emotions.

“Positive thinking won't let you do anything but it will let you do everything better than negative thinking will.” - Zig Ziglar

© Antonia Stuart-James 2007

No comments: