"A goal without a plan is just a dream".
NOTHING in life happens without goals. Nothing ! When you get up in the morning you have a goal of making it to work safely and having a productive day. When you go on vacation you have a goal of having fun. When you get married you have a goal of making each other happy. Everything you strive for is goal driven. And, as a result, the manner in which you go about achieving these goals is is CRITICAL !!!
That having been said, I would like to share with you what has become known to me as THE TEN COMMANDMENTS OF GOAL SETTING...
1. THOU SHALL BE DECISIVE: Success is a choice. You must decide WHAT you want, WHY you want it and HOW you plan to achieve it. No one else can, will, or SHOULD do that for you. It's your goal and your responsibility.
2. THOU SHALL STAY FOCUSED: A close relative to being decisive, but your ability to sustain your focus from beginning to end determines the timing and condition of your outcomes. Don't let outside distractions make your goals out of focus.
3. THOU SHALL WELCOME FAILURE: The fundamental question is not whether you should accept failure. You have no choice but to expect it as a temporary condition on the pathway of progress. Rather, the question is how to anticipate failure and redirect resources to grow from the experience. Remember what Les Brown said, "If you fall down, fall on your back because as long as you can LOOK UP you can GET UP".
4. THOU SHALL WRITE DOWN THY GOALS: Your mind, while blessed with permanent memory, is cursed with lousy recall. People forget things. WRITE DOWN YOUR GOALS !!! Put them where you can see them every day. Send a copy to a friend, family member or a member of your upline. Establish accountability.
5. THOU SHALL PLAN THOROUGHLY: It is a proven fact that planning saves time at a 10:1 ratio in execution. PROPER PLANNING PREVENTS POOR PERFORMANCE !!!
6. THOU SHALL INVOLVE OTHERS: Nobody goes through life alone. Establish your own "Persoanl Board of Directors", people whose wisdom, knowledge and character you respect, to help achieve your goals. Once again, USE YOUR UPLINE!!! That's what we are here for.
7. THOU SHALL TAKE PURPOSEFUL ACTION: Success is not a spectator sport. Achievement demands action. You cannot expect to arrive at success without having made the trip.
8. THOU SHALL REWARD THYSELF: Rewards work !!! Think of what you will give yourself as a result of hard work, focus and persistance. Create your own ACTION = REWARD program and implement it. You DESERVE IT !
9. THOU SHALL INSPECT WHAT THOU EXPECTs: The shelf life of all plans are limited. No plan holds up against opposition. Everything changes. Therefore, inspect frequently and closely what is going on with your plan. It's an insurance policy on your success.
10. THOU SHALL MAINTAIN PERSONAL INTEGRITY: Maintain your COMMITMENT to your COMMITMENT! Set your goals, promise yourself that you will achieve them and eliminate wiggle room and excuses. That's personal integrity. EXCUSES and LAME JUSTIFICATION are the poisons that kill all goals!!!
Remember, these "Ten Commandments of Goal Setting" nor anything else ever placed in front of you will help you achieve your goals if you do not IMPLEMENT THEM ! Like I told someone very close to me the other day, "Those motivational cd's aren't going to do you a bit of good until you take the plastic wrap off the sleeve".
Source: Success University