As Sir Isaac Newton said: “If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants”. As a huge inspiration, Walt Disney is one of those giants.
The Disney staff all have ONE purpose. Powerful, full stop. It is very important to ensure that ALL cast members understand their role towards the BIG purpose. “We create happiness. We provide the finest in entertainment for people of all ages everywhere.”
There are four Walt Disney value principles: dream beyond the boundaries of today, believe in sound values, dare to make a difference, and go out and do it. And, another set, this time, four priorities: safety, courtesy, show and efficiency.
Walt said,“We strive for perfection, but settle for excellence.” Knowing these values and priorities, it is no wonder that the organisation is recognised as having the best customer service in the world.
Remember this, "We have 2 ears and one mouth and we should use them in that ratio." It is key to listen to your audience, that way you can give them what they need.
Ten Disney quotes
1. All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. If you can dream it, you can do it.
2. All the adversity I’ve had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me… You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
3. Disneyland is a work of love. We didn’t go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money.
4. It takes a lot of money to make these dreams come true.
5. It’s kind of fun to do the impossible.
6. The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique.
7. We believed in our idea – a family park where parents and children could have fun- together.
8. We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we’re curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.
9. You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.
10. When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
Walt Disney said, "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing." Disney started in 1923 during a recession. The corporation he co-founded, now known as The Walt Disney Company, today has annual revenues of approximately USD $35 billion. I am sure we can all learn something for practical application in our own lives or business.